I’m sure I’m not the first to say it… But college is much harder than I expected.
As I finish my first semester of freshman year, I have a lot to think about. Like the fact that I came to KU with expectations of a 4.0 GPA (if only I knew), or the fact that I came to college with a set idea of what college would be like, straight from the movies. That scene didn’t happen.
But what did happen is probably the best fall I’ve had yet, and I think it can only get better. In just my first semester at the University of Kansas, I’ve:
- joined a sorority, Alpha Delta Pi, and gained some irreplaceable friends
- gone to numerous football and basketball games
- been on the Ellen show
- started photographing for the Kansan, the school paper
- volunteered at the Lawrence Humane Society
- coached a kindergarten soccer team
- been elected technology chair for ADPi
- found a bible study for me
- founded a Spoon University chapter
This first semester has already taught me so much and I can’t wait for more. I think this quote sums up what I’ve learned from college so far:
“Other people’s opinion of you does not have to become your reality.”